Sunday, September 3, 2017

Project : W210 [ Engine & Electrical - MAF Sensor ]





[ Engine & Electrical - MAF Sensor ]

Parts Cost : $0
Labour Cost : $0

Good evening readers, my very first post for Project:W210!! It is now officially a go go. I went to my parent house to pick up the W210, I popped in the keyfob but the engine was having RPM idling problem when I started the car.  This is a common problem for many cars when the MAF sensor is dirty.  Normally people will replace the whole unit which cost around  BND$100+ for a third party brand or BND$300+ for a genuine Mercedes-Benz part. Another option is to remove the MAF and have it properly cleaned with either a MAF cleaner spray or brake cleaner.

Since this is an easy job I decided to tackle the job myself. Removing the MAF sensor was easy as it required to only open a few clips and screws connected between the air-box and air-intake of the engine. It took me less then 2 mins to remove it. I brought it over to a mechanic with my own brake cleaner to have it properly cleaned.  They didn't charge me a dime. Win-win!

Blocking the intake and airfilter box with unwanted rags to prevent any unnessary entries

Brake Cleaner found!

The rectangular part inside is the MAF sensor.  There are 2 very fragile fine filaments that needed to be clean which is why a spray is used here.

"A mass (air) flow sensor (MAF) is used to find out the mass flow rate of air entering a fuel-injected internal combustion engine. The air mass information is necessary for the engine control unit (ECU) to balance and deliver the correct fuel mass to the engine."

Did my car start?  Check out my next post!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment