Monday, December 30, 2013

The Day I Test Drove A Toyota FT86


Yesterday I have the privelge to drive one of the most talked about JDM in recent years, the Toyota FT86.  The car belongs to a good friend of mine who recently dropped by my store for shopping.  I asked for the key and drove around Kiulap area for a quick drive. This one here is equipped with a 6speed manual transimsion and is fitted with TRD Performance AeroKit!  The car is still new so is totally bone stock.

I sat snuggly in the bucket seat and surprisingly the car sat quite low to the ground.  The only car that gave me this feeling is my Boxster S.  I know Toyota and Subaru are trying to create a very lower centre of gravity sportcar but didn't expect them to be so close to supercar level.  I engaged the gear and released the clutch.  Bam! I stalled the car. LOL!   I must admit the clutch is too "soft" or "light" depend on how you describe it.  Both my Skyline and Boxster had medium clutch set-up, so it is quite hard when depressing.

When I drove out of the street, I nailed the throttle immediately but was disappointed of the lack of power coming out from the 2.0 Boxer engine!  I can assured my MINI Countryman S is quicker then the FT86!  Seriously Toyota/Subaru need to fit a turbo-charge inside the engine.  I know the handling is on par with many high end sports car but seriously lacking engine performance really spoil the fun of driving.

The next part I want to complaint is that damn ugly CD Player original factory fitted.  Seriously who still uses this type of In-Car entertainment?  Come on Toyota, at least a Touch screen!

For a BND$50K car no wonder many people are going for for VW Golf Gti, Mercedes A-Class or a BMW MINI that are equipped with better engine performance and equally or better handling!




No comments:

Post a Comment