Friday, March 19, 2010

Topping up engine oil on Boxster S

Boxster S had been with me for less then 3 months and the current mileage is mere 3000km. Last week, I found out that it is half empty thru my on-board computer. The car was obviously filled with engine oil when it left the factory. I was a little concern about it and my initial first thought was an engine leak, after a few calls to QAF Porsche and they rest assure me that it is normal. I also read the Boxster owner's manual which also stated that it is normal for boxer engine to "eat" away the engine oil during the first 5000km. Phew~



I can only check my engine oil level from the on-board computer located in the console, so no traditional dip-stick for measurement. Oil measurement usually take about 60 secs to ready as shown below.


Once the measurement duration is up, it will indicate how much engine oil you have left in your car. The car uses about 7.5 litres of engine oil. As you can see, half of it was already been eaten up.


To top up the engine oil, I need to go to my rear boot where the engine oil cap is located. In case you do not know, Boxster has a mid engine mounted just behind the seats. So, we have 2 compartments, one in front and one at the rear.



Left is engine oil cap and right is coolant cap (Duh!)


Mobil 1, my first time using it on my cars and also highly recommended by Porsche. I usually go for Idemitsu Racing Oil (ER34) and Shell Helix Ultra(Lexus) engine oil


Mobil 1 5W/50 will be used for the Boxster S engine


I do not know how much oil had been eaten up by the engine, but I do know I top up about 1 litre of Mobil oil.

Finally! The engine is now filled with Mobil engine oil


No comments:

Post a Comment